Mar 7, 2012

Tokyo Marathon 2012

Thirty six Thousand (36,000) runners participated in the Tokyo Marathon.
The Race Started at 9am and the Temperature was a bone chilling 1C.
It was so cold that I had to make wiwi ( urinate ) twice, 30 minutes before the start of the race and  during the race I again had to make wiwi 3 times in the 10 km, 25km and 35km mark. It was at least a good 5 min wait at the portable toilet line.
While I was standing and waiting in the Corral for about 1 hour before the start I was shivering uncontrollably because it was so cold. When the helicopter flew above us to take picture the wind from the helicopter blades was so strong that it hurt on the skin I was really dying from the cold.
I think the 1 hour shivering before race start really Zapped my Energy.
Compared to New York City Marathon and Condura Skyway Marathon where the runners are sent off in waves, for the Tokyo Marathon the runners are assigned to a Particular “ Group Letter “ depending on how fast you run. If you are a 2.07 runner you are assigned to Group letter “A”  if you are a 2:30 runner you are assigned to Group Letter “ B” ….. 
I was assigned to Group letter “G”.
When the “ Cannon  Start was fired “ we all started the same time ( which was a major pile up for us runners ) It took me about 20 minutes to reach the starting line.
From the Starting line to about the 10km it was so crowded that there was a lot elbowing, jousting, pushing, cutting and shoving. It was impossible for me to get my running rhythm.
My plan for a  PR was impossible.
In fact until we reached the finish line we were still so packed.
Instead of complaining I just tried to enjoy the race as much as I could.
The Japanese crowd was fantastic from the start till the finish the streets were full of cheerers and well wisher.
Asides from water , sports drinks and banana that was served in the race.
The crowd gave out cakes, cookies, candies etc.. I think I had 2 slices of strawberry rolls, biscuits , a candy bars yum yum! But when I grabbed  a Wasabi Rice Ball and chowed it down I had to grab a drink of water.
What also amazed me is how the Japanese runners can text  and call while running at a 5 min/km pace. Galling!
And it wasn’t 1 or 2 runners only texting or calling my estimate 30% of the runners where doing this Amazing.  
A Lot Runners also wearing Costume but the most interesting one was a  Japanese Runner who looked like " Jesus " while  caring an inflatable cross. How he was able to finish a Marathon while running naked and barefoot really baffles me. I wish I could ask him  what his reason is for running as  " Jesus ".


Overall it was a good race but I don’t think I would like to join a race similar to Tokyo Marathon in the future because I do not like crowded races, I get claustrophobic.
An average 15,000 runner is fine with me.
And a Temperature of 10C would be perfect anything lower really zaps my energy.
Lastly,My Garmin registered 43.80 km
I asked some runners and their Garmin registered  an  average of 43.60 km
Which means the course was longer by 1.400 km.
My Garmin Finish time was 4:23 ( considering I had  3 wiwi stops and the the course was more than 42.195km  i think i did pretty well.
 I am happy with my performance.
36,000 runners participated in the race.
Starting Line. The view from our hotel room. 25th floor.
Lots of Runners wearing Costume but the most interesting one was a  Japanese Runner who looked like " Jesus " while  caring an inflatable cross. How he was able to finish a Marathon while running naked and barefoot really baffles me. i wish i could ask him  what his reason is for running as  " Jesus ".
1 hour before race start. runners heading for the corral. 
Guess who ran the Tokyo Marathon also ?
till the finish line the crowd was so thick. No way to PR today
Tokyo Marathon was a wonderful experience