Nov 23, 2010

Run Rio Trilogy

I won’t deny it but this is 1 race that I was pretty nervous to join. Just thinking about it gave me butterflies in the tummy.
The reason I was feeling this way is because a 32k distance race is the Crossroad to the dreaded “WALL”.
The other reason is 4 days before the event while I was running I stepped on a “ rock “ and I twisted my left foot pretty bad now the outside of my foot hurts and it’s a bit swollen. Talk about “Bad Luck “. Frustrating as it may be I’m not going to make a “Little” obstacle like this ruin my plans for a 32k race. I’m going for it!!! With lots of prayers and 1,000 mg. of painkillers, I will do alright on race day.

The 32k event started at 4:30 am sharp which is perfect because the weather is still cool at that time and not too much vehicles in the street.
It was a fast course with lots of hills in the kalayaan flyover and Bayani road going to Heritage Park and back. I like a race courses with some variety not the flat boring once.
I was feeling pretty good and Thank God the pain in my left foot was not that bad, What bothered me is I started literally going “ Deaf “ at the 25th km. I get Deaf when I’m starting to dehydrate but as always I was not worried because all Rio’s race have adequate water, Powerade and Bananas. I just started drinking and rehydrate every 10 mins.
Around the 30km I was starting to cramp up on my left inner thigh and right calf muscle. The first thing that entered my head is here comes “ THE WALL “ but instead of slowing down I just maintained my form and stayed in the “ Zone of Concentration “.
When I was about 1 km away from the finish line I picked up the pace and really floored it till I got to the finish line.
My wife " Mabu " sad to say couldn't join me in the race she wasn't feeling well.
It was a good race and I was very pleased with my performance.
QCIM 2 ???

RACE DISTANCE: 32 KM.
ACTUAL RACE DISTANCE: 32.06 KM
PACE: 5:48 / KM
TIME: 3:06:08

Im only Human
Jonel Mendoza - Front Runner Mag Editor and with some of the Ultra Runners. Me and running friend Bearwin Meily

Mr. and Mrs. Edward Santiago. Edward did the 21k while his wife did the 5k. Congratulations

Running Alabang Friend "Mark" (white cap) and his family.

Former Concepcion Industries employees