Feb 20, 2008

Philippine Marathon 2008


My first Marathon was Last May 01, 1983 in Vancouver Canada. I finish in
3hrs.54min.20 sec.
It was only last Nov.2007 that I really considered joining the 2008 Phil. Marathon.
This will be my 2nd & last Marathon I wanted it to be a special one. My target was to finish at least 4hrs. 15mins.
Preparation for a Marathon should never be taken lightly.
For my training I was doing about 95 km a week with 30-32km runs every Saturday for at least 1 ½ months.
There were also a lot of sacrifices in my part especially when I had to get up at 3am every Saturday to do my long runs and Friday night partying was definitely out of the Question.

Feb.24, 2008
The race started at Marikina Riverbanks at exactly 4am sharp. According to the race organizer there were 1250 + runners who registered for the marathon. The weather was perfect. Cool and with slight drizzle what more can you ask.

The first 25km was a bit of a struggle with all the bridges and hills especially along C5 etc. But I was still on target time. But when I hit the 30km mark I was starting to cramp on my legs.
On the 35th km the cramps was getting bad and I decided to slower my pace just to finish. Now my goal switched from 4.15 to “I just want to finish”.

It was very nice for my friend Oknoy Poblete to run with me in the last 7km. I told him several times to go for it but he stayed by my side.
The race ended in Quirino Grand Stand. I was informed by the race organizer that,
“I ranked 372 out of the 872 finishers with an official time of 4hrs. 40mins. and 03sec.

Frankly, I was a bit disappointed and was really hoping for a decent time but im just glad I finished. Now I’m qualified for “Marathon Bragging rights “the 2nd time again.
As of now iam still healing my broken body.
Deep down inside this disappointment in me has fired my desire to do 1 more marathon and to finish at least 4hrs.15mins. As planned.
When you’re a Runner you will always be a runner.
“THE MIRACLE ISNT THAT I FINISHED. THE MIRACLE IS THAT I HAD THE COURAGETO START”.