Jun 17, 2020

In Search for the Best Running Mask


With the outbreak of the 2019 novel coronavirus, it has now become mandatory to wear a Face Mask when in public.  Wearing a mask isn't a huge hassle for the occasional grocery run, but if you're running outside and with the heat and humidity in the Philippines,  wearing one can be quite a challenge.  So goes my journey in search of the best mask that’s suitable for this purpose.  

I have tried a few varieties of masks from buffs, bandanas, surgical mask, KN95 and the like made from materials ranging from polypropylene, cotton , polyester , nylon,  polyurethane etc.  From all that I’ve tried,  there is one  I found most suitable for running.  THE JAPANESE “PITTA” MASK. 

Why? 
  1. For starters, made of polyurethane,  it’s high air permeability makes it easy to breath even while running at a fast pace. 
  2. The whole mask is highly stretchable which make it fit perfectly to the face and comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time without hurting the ears.  
  3. Even when drenched in sweat, I just take it off, give it a couple of good squeezes and I’m good to go.  It can also be washed and reused up to three times although I have re-used mine more times than that.  
  4. It is also affordable at P99.00 for 3 pcs.

Though it claims to cut 99% of all pollen, colds (germs), and dust particles,  the PITTA mask is NOT effective as a defense against the virus.  As a precaution,  I run alone and on routes where I can practice safe physical distancing.

So in pursuant to the mandatory face mask law and my effort to stay healthy and keep running during this pandemic,  this is my go to  “Running Mask“ for the meantime and I am pretty much satisfied with it. 


Note:  I am not a paid endorser for this product.