May 30, 2020

On The Run for 40 Years




I thought I’ve been through it all... super typhoons, peaceful revolutions, coups d'é-tat, devastating earthquakes, major floods, volcanic eruptions but never did I imagine capping my 40 years of running in the midst of a pandemic.  It was difficult at first having to be told that you can no longer do most of the things you normally take for granted.  And it’s just the simplest of things...dining out with friends, walking in the park, attending mass, driving out of town and the hardest of all,  running outdoors. Such is the nature of this pandemic - it is unforgiving and it does not discriminate.  So while  there are those who took into seclusion,  I found ways to keep on running.  I found myself in  expansive rooftops, wide parking garages, long hallways, empty staircases while still in keeping with safety protocols.  This is my nature.  

Moving on to modified ECQ, we are now allowed little liberties - to exercise outdoors with a mask on which in itself poses new challenges but still no excuse to take this pandemic lightly.  Just finding ways to adapt and keep our mental well being intact.  

So 40 years have gone by and  117,512.78 kilometers after.  No matter what changes the world may go through,  I hope and pray that I can continue in this journey,  adapting if need be to a world disrupted and just keep on running.