Dec 31, 2018

Looking Back ... Moving Forward


2018 is almost on its way out and what an adventure it has been.  This year alone has been filled with so much life changing moments...

  • My eldest daughter Patricia got married and is happily living in Boston. 
  • My youngest daughter Cesco is doing well in college and thriving in her chosen field. 
  • I ran the Singapore Half Marathon for the second time this year. 
  • I have joined 9 road races, 2 bike events and 2 duathlons. 

Of course, one can’t have the good without the bad...

  • I got hit by a Motorcycle while biking, knocked me unconscious and lived to tell about it. 
  • I am now 55 years old and try to get at least 6 hours of sleep every night yet still feeling the need to recharge at different times of the day oftentimes stealing some nap time anywhere I can... the car, the office, church, even meetings and restrooms.   
  • My bad left calf never got to heal as well as I had hoped despite therapy and wonder if it ever will.
  • I did some foolish things which I regret (we all get a case of the stupid sometimes) but in the end,  stood up for what is most important to me. 
  • I had to face a grave reality that ROCKed me but learned to be strong and stand up to the plate. 

There are days I tend to question the “true meaning of life” but quickly realize that positive vibes create positive outcomes.  I know that there is still so much to be thankful for.  For starters,  I can still run and have been doing so for 38 years. Running helps me unspool the tangles that build up in my brain and keeps me sane.  I’m pretty much in good health despite my “erratic” eating habits which isn’t always described as healthy.  I  have a very supportive partner, my rock,  who I can’t live without. Though my mood swings oftentimes get the better of me, I am thankful for the watchful eye of the person above who always keeps me in check. 

I have to remember that happiness is found within.  After all, this life is my own and I alone am responsible for the quality of it.  No apologies no excuses.  I will not let my mistakes define who I am. I can’t change the past but I know I can, at the very least, appreciate what it has taught me.

Everyone’s journey is different and we can do ourselves a big favor by living it to the best we can.  Sounds cliche but no harm can come from just trying to enjoy each moment, and doing our best to do the right thing. Trust in the journey.  Learn. Grow. Evolve. Become.  

Just to end on a high and positive note for 2018, I RAN 1,811.87 KMs with a  TOTAL ACCUMULATED DISTANCE OF 113,607.14 SINCE MAY 30,1980 and BIKED 7,615.90 kms. this year. 
Looking forward to 2019.