Apr 14, 2015

Guam International Marathon 2015


The Guam International Marathon ( GIM ) has been on my bucket list of Marathon Races together with the North Pole and Vancouver Marathons.  For now, however, racing in Guam was the perfect venue to satisfy my need for some sun, warm weather and a "homey" and somewhat relaxed racing atmosphere.  Guam is a territory of the United States in the western Pacific Ocean and is the largest island in Micronesia.  I would imagine Guam to be like the former Clark and Subic Bases in the Philippines when the Americans were still in control but in a larger scale.  Because of it's proximity,  the 3-hour plane ride from Manila and 
2-hour time difference was not at all taxing on the body and quite stress free making it all the more convenient for runners coming from the Philippines like myself.  
The GIM is also certified by the International Association of Athletic Federation and the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races as an official qualifying event for the Boston Marathon. 

In lieu of the usual fireworks, the island race treated the runners with a traditional fire dance. Race start was at 3am and the route was quite scenic passing through a few coastal areas, Power Plants, shopping malls and establishments that Guam is quite known for.  The course was hilly but not very challenging. Rain drizzled on and off three times during the run.  The only drawback is that I found it quite HUMID!  So humid in fact that I needed to quench my thirst with water and an energy drink as early as the 5 km mark. It wasn't easy but all in all,  it was a good race.

I find that running marathons is a good way for me to indulge in what I love to do and allows me to reflect on life in general. This race in particular was a "run of gratitude" for personal battles that have worked in my favor thus far.  I know I still have a long road ahead and lots of obstacles yet to face but just like any Marathon, I've always got my eye on the Finish Line, God willing. 

@ Expo
Race Day
Fire Dance
Post Race Meal
Exploring Guam

Guam Highlights
My Bodyguard ... Guess who ?
King for a Day