May 2, 2013

At the crack of Dawn



               I have found that at  45 …. OK 50 years old,   sleeping early is the norm and the afternoon Siesta becomes a must.  This is pretty common among those in the advanced ages.  However, early to bed also means early to rise and in my case, 4 am is just way too early and can sometimes be pretty FRUSTRATING !

Just imagine being up even before the rooster crows at the crack of dawn, 
.....or before the neighbors gardener starts watering the plants,
.....or before the daily newspaper arrives at the new stands, or even 
.....before the Local TV stations signs in for their early morning broadcast 

But then again,  waking up early also does have its perks.
...... You will know what time your daughter actually comes in from a late night party, 
...... You can check if your Security Guard is sleeping on the job or 
.......You get to use the toilet in peace without a soul to bother  you as you make no. 2

 But for me,  the best part of waking up at the wee hours of the morning  is getting to lace up them running shoes and heading out for that Solo Run.  The morning silence can be quite deafening,  but the only sound that would really  matter is the beating of my heart and the pounding of my shoes on the pavement. 
It is in the morning where I connect with myself and my maker.
It is where I am at peace
It is where I discover myself,  who I am, who I want to be and who I am not.
So yes, I am an early riser, but as I end my morning run and reality slowly creeps in with the morning sun, in my 2 hour / 20 km run, I can say I was “ME”.