Jan 4, 2009

Running in Thailand


THAILAND

Running with the Manequins ?!

Bangkok & Phuket, Thailand
3 things come to mind when you hear the country "Thailand”
1. Shopping
2. Tsunami
3. Transsexuals

But in my case 2 things were on my mind.
1. That my family has a good vacation
2. And for me to discover a new running country. ( i love running abroad )
Frankly, I was a bit worried. I heard that Thailand has similar surroundings as Manila such as crowded streets and crazy drivers and I wondered if there would be any decent & safe places to run in that country. But for a runner, “So long as there are roads you cannot stop us from running. Nothing is impossible”.
I had to make some minor adjustments to the environment especially because everything was on the other side meaning "right hand driving", crossing of the street to get to the other side. But surprisingly it wasn’t so bad. The weather was cool and the locals always gave way to runners. I was still able to do my daily 12 - 13 km run.
The country road beside the beaches was beautiful in Phuket. Of course “Tsunami" was always on my mind especially when there were road signs pointing to the Tsunami evacuation route!! I figured lightning doesn’t strike twice….right ?!!!

Overall, I was very pleased with the running route in Thailand.