Nov 3, 2021

Pancreatic ​Cancer “ PC “ and I.


It was the 11th of June 2021 when I was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. Ten days after,  I had a Full Laparoscopic Whipple Surgery.  The surgery lasted about 17 hours I was told.  The beauty of a full laparoscopic whipple surgery is that it allows for a quicker recovery time.  Two days after surgery, I was able to walk around my room and the hospital corridors. Seven days later, I was discharged from the hospital.  Soon after,  I started to do some easy runs.  After a months time I could run at least 10-12 kms, 5 times a week at a relaxed pace. 

Then came chemo which started 8 weeks after.  Though it was diagnosed at an early stage, I opted to be aggressive with my regimen. I had a Portacath installed on the same day as my first Chemo session. I need a total of 12 sessions every 2 weeks with each session lasting for about 50 hours. To date, I am halfway done. Six down and six more to go. 

With chemo, there are good days, there are bad days and then there are very bad days.  It’s up. Its down. It’s ugly. It’s exhausting. Its sometimes painful and depressing but it can also be enlightening.  Whatever it is, I fight. I try my best to endure.  “ NOT BECAUSE I AM BRAVE “. I push beyond the limit physically and mentally not for myself but for the people I love the most because no one with cancer ever fights alone.  They give me my purpose and my strength.  They are the ones that keep me going.  

So this, in brief, is my journey.  It may be daunting to know what lies ahead but I will keep moving forward. I will focus on the here and now and I will make every moment count.  For those who have fallen, I believe there is a special place in heaven for them.  For those who are still fighting, keep the faith. Never give up.  Easy to say I know for the struggle is all too real.  At the end of the day, what choice do we really have? Such is the nature of Pancreatic Cancer - it’s tough to diagnose, tough to treat and tough to research.  We just need to get tougher. 

I am inspired by those who share the same struggle with me.  We are like comrades in this battle.   I am grateful to the one who helps ease my burdens. Her strength and quiet fortitude calms my soul 🌳.  I am blessed to have the love and support of family.  My tribe, my little army. 

November is Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month.  I will be rocking my purple 💜and never ever give up HOPE.

#PancreaticCancerAwarenessMonth
#PancreaticCancer
#RunningShield💜
#RobieStrong