Dec 4, 2019

The Standard Charter Marathon 2019



The Standard Charter Singapore Marathon 2019 is the only Half Marathon event I was able to run for 2019. I had signed up for several Half Marathon races prior but something  always happens last minute, be it a race cancellation due to bad weather, some nagging injury or a sudden conflict in schedule that derailed my plans.  And though it is my one and only half marathon race for 2019, this is actually my third time running the SCSM.  The first two SCSM races I participated in were actually morning races unlike this year’s SCSM, which was a night race.  The night race made no real difference in terms of weather as compared to the morning races. It was still hot and humid as is the staple in Singapore. 

I have to say though that my most memorable SCSM was in 2017 when the starting point was right smack in Orchard Road and ended in Padang Field.  It provided a better route, better scenery, access to wider roads and because runners were given different starting points, streets were less crowded.  Possibly due to a significant increase in the volume of runners that signed up in 2018, the races were now billeted at the F1 Pit and segregated into 2 days.  

Running SCSM is always a memorable experience.  Not a great finish time for me what with the heat and high humidity but I enjoyed and I am very happy.  After all the race duties are done, it also leaves some time to explore and enjoy the rest of Singapore.