Oct 15, 2018

Pilipinas Duathlon 2018



The Pilipinas Duathlon Series Final Leg was held on October 14, 2018 at Subic Bay, Pampanga.  This is the second duathlon I participated in the first one being the first leg of the Pilipinas Duathlon Series last Feb 25 in Clark Pampanga. Unlike Clark, Subic Bay is quite well known for is its killer hills.  I was fully aware that the course would have a great degree of difficulty  based on the feedback I gathered from friends who are familiar with the course. This is basically the reason why I opted for the shorter distance Sprint Category (5km run-20km bike- 5km bike).
At the start of the race, the run event already proved to be quite a challenge with 2.5 km downhill and 2.5 km uphill which we had to do twice! The bike segment was no exception with endless hills after hills after hills.  It didn’t take long before I could feel the burn in my thighs. The bike course alone can be tricky and treacherous if not careful. There were a few major crashes on the race route where ambulance assistance was required.  I am grateful to have been spared any serious mishaps and the dreaded flat tire.  I did, however, have a bit of difficulty treading the down slopes during the run segments due to a nagging left calf muscle. Other than that,  I was surprisingly feeling quite good throughout the race. 
An unexpected perk — a 3rd Place Finish in my Age Group.   
I feel it was a good idea to take on the shorter distance  so as not to burn myself out too much and still live to race another day.  It was hot,  it was challenging but overall, the Pilipinas Duathlon in Subic proved to be a great experience. 
3rd Place Age Category 
 Run 5km x 2
 Bike 20 km
 Bromance with Hector 




 The " Legend " Frank L.
 Hanging out with friends
 My 3rd Place Medal age Group Category
 Chilling after the race
See you soon Subic