Feb 13, 2017

Animo " La Salle Run " 2017

I was not suppose to run this race.  I was originally gearing up for another race in MOA with my friend, Paolo, but because of some mixup by the organizer, my race bib never arrived. This all happened just a day before the scheduled event.  So, all psyched up with nowhere to run, I decided to look for another race I could join last minute that was still open.  Luckily,  I heard my alma matter was having a race on the same day and I quickly signed up for it. Being an alumni, my race bib was free which was an added perk. 

Upon my arrival, I was greeted warmly by my fellow La Salle brothers which was quite touching.  It felt good to see some former classmates and batch mates after such a long time.  What I didn't expect, however, was that they had assigned the La Salle "elite team" to pace me during the race.  " Oh shit ".  Needless to say, it added quite a bit of pressure on someone who just started getting back into the racing circuit and who has been having a love/hate relationship with his left leg.  Nevertheless, it was a wonderful race day. The weather was chilly and the course was not that difficult. To my surprise, I started off running quite well meaning - no pain whatsoever on my left knee.  I was able to push my pace and crossed the finish line placing 6th overall with still some gas left in my legs.  This was the first time I was able to run "pain free" after a year which, I'm not ashamed to admit, almost brought tears to my eyes.  For a runner, that is a very big deal. 

I'm glad I was able to run the LA SALLE ANIMO RACE, my alma matter where I started my formative years many decades ago, to see some old friends and have a chance to reminisce about the "good old crazy days" but most of all, to just basically have a great time.  Come to think of it, all this would have never even happened if my original plan didn't fall through.  I guess it's true that everything happens for a reason  and the unexpected ones are always the best. 

Animo La Salle!  It was great to come back home. 
Feb. 13, 2017
" St. Benilde " 
at night
 St. Benilde during my time year 1969