May 31, 2016

36 Running Years


I have been a runner for a long time and developed some running-related habits that have become so second nature and normal to me even if my non-runner friends and family might just find them a bit quirky or weird. Here are just a few QUIRKS I've developed through the years simply because I love to run:

1. If I don’t have time for a run, I find myself in a bad mood the whole day coz I'm just not myself when I can't run.

2. I wear my running watch even when I'm not running.

3. I always have my next race(s) plotted on the calendar.

4. I have more fun shopping for running clothes than I do non-running clothes and can get overly excited over a new pair of road running shoes, trail running shoes, race running shoes, road to trail running shoes.... You get the idea.

5. I plan my vacations around a race or a running destination.

6. I skip out early at parties or pass up Friday nights out with friends because I have to get up early on Saturday to do my long run.

7. I dread getting up early for work, but excitedly pop out of bed for a run or race.

8. I have cried when crossing a finish line... several times (but then again, I am "iyakin")

9. I enjoy running in the rain or in any kind of weather for that matter.  Even a raging storm can't stop me.

10. I can run happily and patiently for an hour but get impatient waiting in line at the store for five minutes.

11. I get jealous when I'm driving and I pass someone running on the road.

12. I consider running to be “therapy,”  but eventually learned that running does not replace ACTUAL therapy which I reluctantly have to do now on a regular basis just so I can run.

13. Secretly, I want to either cry or punch my doctor in the face when he tells me that I can't run for two weeks.

14. I have running clothes and an extra pair of running shoes in my car or in my hand carry when traveling "just in case."

15. Last but not the least, On this very day I have been running for 36 years and accumulated a mileage of 107,492.43 kms to date.


Yup, that's me - WEIRDO!